the B@tE Series

Friday, February 18, 2005

The slow decline...

Had my longest day of work today. Finished at the late hour of 8.15pm. Reminds me of my army days.

Still have to head back to work tomorrow. Not sure how some people can keep up with this all their lives. Know this makes me sound all whiny and stuff but I wonder if it's wrong to expect better than this?

It seems to be an unspoken rule that if you can't put up with this sort of lifestyle over here you aren't worth anything in life. And I guess thousands suffer in silence.

I'm not really too concerned at the moment coz the project i'm working on is quite cool and I'm learning lots while glued to the computer screen. My superior is a nice funny guy who really has an impossible deadline to meet and i'm sure i'll have tons of company in the office tomorrow anyway. I don't really work the fastest in the office but I like to do things to the best of my ability. Non of my drawings should ever get out of line!

Spent the day sifting through the computer and a book to find the perfect tree to incoporate in the presentation drawings i'm preparing. Found some nice bamboo, a hedge and a couple of nice sketchy trees. Scanned them, edited them, trimmed them down and placed them carefully, only to have them rejected by my boss! haha... but my superior was quick to change strategy, we employed another tree image, merged them and that was accepted. :)

Guess it's easy for me to say that i'm enjoying all this, since I'm still just an intern (who's only worked 4 weeks mind you!). I've talked to a lot of my colleagues and asked them about their lives and what they enjoy doing etc. It's always fun to hear them talk so passionately about stuff like travelling, cooking, painting. Though I'm happy that they're all just as enthusiastic about buildings still.

The field of architecture still allows for much creativity, problem solving and the ability to go a bit nuts once in a while. But I feel sorry for the technical staff who are only drilled in the building regulations and do endless detailed drafting. To them it's easy to understand why they get so bored and tired out.

oh well, guess there's still so much more to learn. In a way though i'm proud to be associated with this firm now coz the buildings that they design have really been pushing the envelope [architecture-wise] in singapore. Globally we still have a LONG way to go.

so anyway, i'm expecting far more late nights and far less time for myself to redistribute to everything else that matters. If I work all day on saturday that leaves me with hardly anytime at all. Thank God that He really knew what He was doing by sending me to a uni that only requires 6 months working experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home