the B@tE Series

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

So it begins.

been working for 3 days already. Been quite an interesting experience. Not quite as bad as I had feared it would be. Not as exciting as I hoped... but not bad non the less.

Once again it's been a bit of a chore having to adjust and adapt to new faces, new experiences, a whole new environment... plus it's been scary having to adjust to the standards that are adopted in the office.

Really really have to thank God for the really helpful and patient colleagues who have put up with my constant questions and blank uncomprehending looks. so far I haven't had lunch with the same group of people twice! not that the office is that big... but it's been quite a pleasure getting to know them one by one.

Interaction with my boss has been at a minimum. He's usually at a meeting, discussing something important with the senior architects or in his room planning or whatever it is he does in there. I've been kept busy doing small tasks... which somehow amount to really long hours. Just detailing a toilet can take forever! Though it is a rather mundane chore, I do find my mind working a lot coz I have to keep thinking where the next line i draw is gonna go and what thickness to make it. I rather enjoy the feeling when I've printed my stuff out and it looks so professional... what a sense of accomplishment that brings. :)

Sadly though, as expected this company has it's fair share of office politics and bickering and such. The conversations have increased in intensity with each lunch I've had. Kinda expected it considering no place is ever perfect (even churches have their fair share of problems!) but was hoping it would take a little longer before it all sunk in.

Thankfully i'm not being overworked or anything. I leave around six plus once i've finished my tasks and can make my way home without having to bring my work home with me. This will all come to an end sooner or later though... considering I will get involved more and more as the days go by. Furthermore, the other interns aren't hanging around as long as I am so I reckon things are going to get real busy in a month or two.
=====

today that best thing that happened was me waking up at 6.30am instead of the usual 7.45. I went to sleep at 11.30pm and just woke up like that. Had a nice dream (though I can't remember it) and then found myself looking at my room, wide awake. The sun hadn't even risen and I just couldn't believe how full of energy I felt. So I got up, rubbed my eyes a bit and thought about what to do with the time. Had prayed hard the night before that God would give me a good night's rest. Well He sure delivered! I decided to give the time back to Him since He'd so generously given me these precious hours of the morning. Spent the morning doing some bible study and prayer.... and when I headed to work I never felt better. Ironically the bible study was on busyness and finding rest in Christ. :P

Made me realise that 7 hours of sleep probably is my optimum amount of sleep. And there've been so many nights i've been sleeping for 9 hours or more... No wonder I keep thinking I need more sleep... tragically i'd been oversleeping... (a criminal offense?)

Strangely it wasn't so much the fighting to stay awake this morning that kept me in bed till 6.40am, it was the fighting the tradition of not wanting to get up till the last possible moment before I have to spring out of bed, change, have breakfast and rush out of the house. It's the cycle that's been with me since primary school till pre-u. Waking up all groggy at 6.30am every morning to catch the school bus. This was then followed by waking up at 6.30am every morning to catch the bus to go to army. And in melbourne it's waking up 1/2 hour before my morning classes to rush to uni on foot.

But it's unfair to compare so much. I don't have any homework, now that i'm working, and so I can sleep as early as I want without fear.

But in the end I think it was also a good thing to start the day off with God. Got off on the right foot, had the right frame of mind and also reminded myself of all the ways I could make a lot of trouble for myself if I wasn't careful. Was a good experience that I hope to repeat. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home